Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tzu
UNDERSTANDING LEADERSHIP COACHING & DEVELOPMENT
Leadership as a strength begins with the individual, accordingly “self-leadership” is the first step or focus in leadership development. It all starts and ends with you! Without leading yourself first you cannot lead others towards success. As a positive outcome, great leadership is developed, respected, and powerful.
Effective leaders today are knowledgeable and experienced, while at the same time are flexible, engaged, open to change and inspire others to be truly effective. Recognizing that leadership style and drive comes from previous learning and past experiences, all effective coaching begins with the understanding of where you are before you can grow personally or professionally. The main goal of developing “effective leaders” is that by leading energetically and authentically, a transformation can take place where there is positive impact on one’s own life, which filters onto their teams, the company’s bottom-line, and the overall general success and effectiveness of an organization.
Coaching is a developmental process of supporting individuals in making conscious decisions about their professional, personal and business/organizational lives.
- “Leadership” coaching identifies and builds upon “strengths” and allows individuals to use those strengths to act upon personal and organizational values.
- The ultimate goal of Leadership Coaching is to help an individual or a team – move to a new action or behavior while learning, growing and developing.
DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE LEADERS
The “FOCUS” therefore is on individuals with essential leadership skills, or those who want to develop those skills to be effective leaders professionally or in their personal lives, by cultivating accountability, enthusiasm, commitment, relatability, and respect of others. It is about getting leaders empowered so they can empower others. If you don’t think of yourself as a leader, then you are limited in your thinking. “Leading” is the way we help move people, including ourselves into action and towards implementing change.
WHAT THE LEADERSHIP COACH DOES
- Guiding clients to understand their styles in learning, interacting, leading, making decisions, managing people and conflict.
- Partners to identify goals, vision, barriers, and strategies for success.
- Supports priorities and reinforcement of new insights and practices.
- Brings an experienced and strategic perspective of business and human management elements to a company or leader.
- Assess and apply organizational culture and expectations to create a more productive environment.
- Enhancing an individual’s performance to increase their effectiveness and productivity.
- Discovers opportunities for effective communication.
- Builds upon client’s personal strengths and values.
- Fosters an action plan for the leader’s accountability and success.